LEGO Foundation Centre for Creativity, Play and Learning
The LEGO Foundation Centre for Creativity, Play and Learning is an entity within the LEGO Foundation, reflecting the Foundation’s commitment to be a leading authority on the role of play for children’s development, creativity and lifelong learning.
The LEGO Foundation drives an international research agenda and works with researchers, educators and innovators committed to learning through play, in order to improve the effectiveness with which issues associated with learning through play are addressed and implemented internationally.
The LEGO Foundation Centre for Creativity, Play and Learning aims to address these challenges:
- Highly fragmented field of disciplines in research and academia, with only limited collaboration
- Lack of a shared language about the value of play for children’s development and learning
- Need for clarity about the methods used to document and evaluate the relationship between play and learning
- Difficulty in finding and engaging with knowledge about how children learn through play
- Lack of examples of how research on play has been translated into impact in practice
The Centre is developing an international cross-disciplinary research agenda with the goal of building a solid body of evidence about learning through play and the impact of play on child development, creativity, and lifelong learning. The Centre will have a multi-year research plan with detailed several core research themes.
The Centre will illustrate and share examples of how children learn through play, and use the LEGO Idea Studio to develop and facilitate hands-on creative experiences to build a foundation for a deeper understanding of the LEGO Idea and learning through play.
The Centre hosts PlayFutures, a global research and innovation community that brings together researchers and successful practices to develop a greater understanding of how children learn through play.